CHICKEN BIRYANI WITH GARAM MASALA
Biryani is a fragrant rice and meat dish which gets its spicy, hot, and savoury taste from its underlying blend of spices. Garam masala is especially important in this dish since it gives warmth, spice, and depth to the biryani.
EarthSpice Garam Masala selects the best from among the various recipes of preparing garam masala to give you the best of the flavours and benefits of each of the ingredients of the masala.
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- 12 servings
|Olive oil||2 ½ tablespoons|
|Plain yogurt||3 tablespoons|
|Distilled white vinegar||2 tablespoons|
|Medium Onion, sliced||1 pc|
|Garlic, crushed||2 pc|
|Ginger paste||1 tablespoon|
|Small green chilly peppers||2 pc|
|Medium tomatoes, chopped||2 pc|
|EarthSpice Garam Masala||2 tablespoons|
|Dried mint||1 tablespoon|
|Cilantro sprigs||5 pc|
|3 lbs. Whole chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces||1 pc|
|Uncooked Basmati Rice||4 cups|
|Bay Leaf||1 pc|
|Green cardamom pods||4 pc|
|Black cardamom pods||1 pc|
|Cinnamon stick||1 pc|
|Salt to taste|
|Powdered yellow food coloring||1/4th teaspoon|
- Use a large sized skillet (kadhai) to heat olive oil over medium flame. Put in yoghurt and vinegar.
- Add onions to the skillet, and cook it until it becomes tender. Then, add garlic, ginger paste, green chilly peppers, and tomatoes.
- Cook and stir this tadka until the tomatoes are tender.
- Use EarthSpice Garam Masala as seasoning along with mint, salt, and pepper. Then add the cilantro sprigs.
- Put the chicken into the skillet (kadhai) and reduce the flame to medium-low. Cover the kadhai and stir and cook for 45 minutes until the juices have come out clearly from the chicken. This step infuses your chicken with the spiciness and intense flavours of the tadka containing EarthSpice Garam Masala.
- Boil the rice and water separately in another large pot (Dutch Oven or Casserole). Add bay leaf, green cardamom, black cardamom, and cinnamon to infuse the rice with fragrance and the specific flavours of these spices.
- Take another pot and mix the rice and the chicken in alternating layers. The top layer should be rice.
- Sprinkle with yellow turmeric-based food colouring and serve hot.
VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTES
EarthSpice Garam Masala can also be used to prepare vegetarian biryani preparations using potatoes, soya, paneer, etc.
395 calories; protein 16.2g 33% DV; carbohydrates 55.9g 18% DV; fat 11g 17% DV; cholesterol 31mg 10% DV; sodium 43.4mg 2% DV.